The long-awaited HTC DREAM G1 smartphone combines full touchscreen functionality and a QWERTY keyboard with a mobile Web experience that includes many Google tools you've come to rely on with your PC, including Google Maps Street View Gmail, and one-touch Google search. It's also the first phone to be powered by Google's new open-source Android operating system, which offers an intuitive interface easily customizable home screen. You can also purchase optional software via the Android Market to personalize your G1 with a variety of software applications like games, social networking, and on-the-go shopping.
In addition to a vibrantly colorful 3.2-inch touchscreen, the HTC DREAM G1's hinged screen slides open to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard and closes to prevent accidental dialing. It runs on 3G network's, and also offers Wi-Fi connectivity for surfing the web on your wireless network or at hotspots as well as Bluetooth for both hands-free communication and stereo music streaming. Other features include a 3-megapixel camera for still photos and video capture, a digital audio player and up to 5 hours of talk time.
Android OS and Market
The HTC DREAM G1 with Google is the first phone to run on the Android operating system, which provides easy access to a wide assortment of messaging tools and Google apps. Additionally, this open source OS empowers developers to to create and offer applications that add value to the G1. The G1's Home screen (seen at right) is your starting point for using all the applications on your phone. You can customize your Home screen to display applications, shortcuts, and widgets.
The Android Market hosts a wide variety of unique applications, and with the G1's one-click access to it you can find and download a wide range of innovative software applications--from games to social networking and on-the-go shopping--to personalize your phone. Some examples of applications include:
Just drag and drop any of your favorite applications, photos, or folders onto your home screen for quick access to what you use all the time.
- With the comparative shopping ShopSavvy application, you can scan the UPC code of a product with your phone's camera while shopping, and instantly compare prices from online merchants and nearby local stores.
- Ecorio was developed to help people keep track of their daily travels and view what their carbon footprint looks like. With access to tips and tricks, Ecorio allows you to record the steps you take throughout their day to help offset your impact on the environment.
- BreadCrumbz enables you to create a step-by-step visual map using photos. Create your own routes, share them with friends or with the world.
Android Operating System Update
The Android operating system update includes the following:
- Bluetooth stereo music streaming
- On-screen keyboard in addition to slide-out keyboard (seen at left)
- Video recording and playback
- Home screen widgets
- Easy upload of photos to Picasa and videos to YouTube
- Spanish language support
- Edit multiple messages in Gmail
- Faster MyLocation acquisition in Google Maps
- Faster web browsing with smoother page scrolling
- Improved camera with faster start-up and image capture
- In-call keypad timeout to eliminate face dialing
The HTC DREAM G1's vibrant, high-quality screen slides open to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard, great for communicating with friends online or using the phone's e-mail, IM and mobile messaging capabilities. As another option for accessing the device, the HTC DREAM G1 comes equipped with a convenient trackball for more precise, one-handed navigation. The 3.2-inch touchscreen has a 320 x 480-pixel resolution and a 65K color depth. The HTC DREAM G1's touchscreen interface is unique, providing you with a more customizable, interactive touch experience. For example, you can set a signature gesture to unlock the screen (there are 30 million possible combinations). There are also different taps for different types of commands--for example, you can use a short touch to launch an application, or a long press on any screen will give you additional options, similar to that of a right click on a mouse.
The phone has an internal 192 MB RAM/256 MB ROM memory, and it's expandable via optional microSD memory cards up to 8 GB in size.
With one-click contextual search, you can search for relevant information in a flash with a touch of a finger. A full HTML Web browser allows users to see any Web page the way it was designed to be seen, and then easily zoom in to expand any section by simply tapping on the screen. Built-in support for YouTube allows you to enjoy YouTube's originally-created content, easily navigate through YouTube's familiar video browsing categories or search for specific videos.
With Google Maps, Google's groundbreaking maps service, you can instantly view maps and satellite imagery, as well as find local business and get driving directions, all from the phone's easy-to-use touch interface. The HTC DREAM G1 also includes Google Maps Street View, enabling you to explore cities at street-level virtually while on the go. Without taking a step, you can tour a far-away place as if they were there--standing on the street corner. Even better, the Google Maps feature syncs with a built-in compass on the phone--an industry first--to allow you to view locations and navigate 360 degrees by simply moving the phone with your hand.
Use the G1's 3G and Wi-Fi connection to attach and share pictures over e-mail and MMS or download music from your favorite web sites, as well as upload and post pictures to your personal blog.
The G1 features a rich HTML e-mail client, which seamlessly syncs your e-mail, calendar and contacts from Gmail as well as most other POP3 or IMAP e-mail services. The Gmail application provides features such as conversation view, spam filtering, search, and labels that Gmail users enjoy on their computer while offering new features such as integration with the phone's contact list. And it multitasks, so you can read a Web page while also downloading your e-mail in the background.
It also combines Instant Messaging support for Google Talk, as well as AOL, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger in the U.S., and IM presence allows you to see whether your friends are online, offline, away. The G1 also supports advanced text messaging features, enabling you to easily flag, delete or move groups of messages and keep track of group conversations through threaded text messaging. The Google Calendar app on the G1 syncs with the Web-based version, so any event that you add to your phone will show up on the Web-based Google Calendar (and vice versa).
Other features include:
- 3-megapixel camera with autofocus for still photos
- Video recording and playback
- Digital audio player with four categories (Artists, Albums, Songs, and Playlists) and support for MP3, M4A (iTunes AAC, DRM-free), AMR, WMA (8), WAF, and OGG Vorbis
- Use digital audio songs as ringtone
- Bluetooth version 2.0+EDR with the following profiles: HFP (hands-free car kits), HSP (communication headsets), A2DP (stereo music streaming), AVRC (remote control)
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g)
- Messaging: e-mail (IMAP/POP3/SMTP), instant messaging, SMS text, MMS photo
- USB 2.0 connectivity with USB mass storage capability
The HTC DREAM G1 with Google weighs 5.6 ounces and measures 4.6 x 2.2 x 0.7 inches. Its 1150 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5 hours of talk time, and up to 130 hours (5+ days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as the 2100 MHz HSDPA 3G frequencies.