The super-smart Samsung Captivate for AT&T brings a fully integrated entertainment, messaging and social networking experience to your mobile phone, thanks to its open and innovative Android 2.1 platform. You'll be able to zip through the Web and multitask between a bevy of apps with the Captivate's 1 GHz processor and ultra-fast 7.2 Mbps 3G connectivity.
Enjoy brilliant video playback and gameplay with the 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display.
Capture vivid still images and videos with the 5-megapixel camera with 720p HD video recording.
With integrated Google technology, the Samsung Captivate brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by voice, Google Maps with Street View, GTalk instant messaging (with presence capabilities), YouTube, and Picasa. The Captivate also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
The Captivate has a large 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display that provides brighter, thinner, and higher-resolution than traditional screens. Samsung's innovative display technology makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life like never before, even in bright light and outdoor environments. And messaging is simple and easy with the Captivate's virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology, which allows you to input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard.
At 0.39 inches (9.9mm) thin, the Captivate is the thinnest Android smartphone on the market, and it packs in a 16 GB internal memory plus 5-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and HD video recording (720p resolution). Other features include fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 3.0 technology for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, microSD memory expansion (for optional cards up to 16 GB in size), and just under 6 hours of talk time.
Samsung Social Hub
Offering one-stop shopping for all your updates, the Samsung Social Hub all your social networking services, messages, personal and business e-mail, calendars and contacts. It's built around Messaging and Contacts, both of which initiate the sending and receiving of information--whether it is e-mail, instant messaging, social network updates or SMS messages. Additionally, calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar, and social networking services are displayed together in one calendar with two-way synchronization.
The familiar text messaging experience is enhanced with group messaging and "reply all" functionality for up to 10 contacts, a threaded conversations format, a consolidated inbox, and enhanced multi-media display.
- Fast 3G connectivity via AT&T's HSDPA/UMTS network (850/1900 MHz bands; 3.6/7.2 Mbps speeds with network availability).
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go. Connect for free using one of the over 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide.
- Powered by the Android operating system (version 2.1) with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor speeds up everything--from playing games to watching shows to opening files from work.
- Swype input system allows you to input text faster and easier by gliding your finger around the keyboard, moving from letter to letter in one continuous motion. The Swype technology then calculates what word you're intending to type.
- Samsung Social Hub provides one stop for all your updates integrates all your social networking services, messages, personal and business e-mail, calendars and contacts.
- 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display (480 x 800 pixels, 16 million color depth) is one of the thinnest, most responsive full-featured smartphones in the industry.
- 5.0-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and HD video recording (720p)
- Intelligent voice processor helps enhance voice and suppress noise for clear communications nearly anywhere. Like the human ear, the chip isolates your voice, and filters out all the unwanted background noise, for unsurpassed mobile call clarity without the noise from a busy street, loud public places, nearby conversations or even sirens going by.
- Multi-format digital audio player
- Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It's compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as headsets and printers. It includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 16 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 16 GB.
- YouTube app for streaming video over 3G and Wi-Fi connections.
- Rich HTML e-mail application seamlessly syncs your e-mail, calendar and contacts from Gmail as well as most other POP3 or IMAP e-mail services. The Gmail application provides features such as conversation view, spam filtering, search, and labels that Gmail users enjoy on their computer while offering new features such as integration with the phone's contact list. And it multitasks, so you can read a Web page while also downloading your e-mail in the background.
- Full HTML Web browser enables you to view more pages and enjoy better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone.
- Instant messaging support for Google Talk, as well as AOL, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. It also supports advanced text messaging features, enabling you to easily flag, delete or move groups of messages and keep track of group conversations through threaded text messaging.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Google Calendar app syncs with the Web-based version, so any event that you add to your phone will show up on the Web-based Google Calendar (and vice versa).
- Free AT&T Address Book service allows you to sync your contacts to an online address book, enabling you to access and manage your mobile contacts from your handset--or your PC. From the online interface, you can import contacts from other Web-based address books, such as personal e-mail accounts, as well as send text messages to your contacts' mobile numbers.
The Samsung Captivate weighs 4.5 ounces and measures 4.18 x 2.5 x 0.39 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5 hours, 50 minutes of talk time, and up to 340 hours (14+ days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as AT&T's dual-band 3G network (850/1900 MHz; HSDPA/UMTS).
|High-speed data connectivity via AT&T's 3G mobile broadband data network: The dual-band 850/1900 MHz 3G network provides up to 3.6/7.2 Mbps of download speed, making it possible to enjoy a variety of feature-rich wireless multimedia services, and it gives you the advantage of offering simultaneous voice and data services.|
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the AT&T EDGE network, which offers availability in more than 13,000 US cities and along some 40,000 miles of major highways. Providing average data speeds between 75-135Kbps, it's fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services, including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and email on the go.
An alternative to the Android virtual keyboard, the Swype virtual keyboard allows you to input text by swiping the finger with one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard. Based on testing, speed and accuracy are equal to or better than the traditional keyboard-tapping method. You can activate the Swype keyboard by pressing and holding in a text field, wait for popup to appear, click Input Method, and then select Swype.
In the image to the left, the word "quick" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry.